Friday, April 22, 2011

What is it about music?

If you were following my 30 days of Thankfulness posts then you know that I LOVE music.  My IPod is a bizarre collection of stuff that includes classical music, jazz, blues, lots of country, 80's music, rock, pop, grunge, a bit of heavy metal, praise and worship, and contemporary christian. Crazy isn't it but looking at my IPod is a bit like looking into my mind. There is an order to it but it is only visible to me.

I am having trouble with my IPod right now and have been without it for about 3 days. That got me to thinking about how much music means to me. I can't imagine a life without music. I think it is interesting because I have NO musical talent at all. I mean if you give me some sheet music and a clarinet I could probably play what ever was in front of me but I find no joy in making the music. It is a skill for me not a talent. I just want to listen! Okay and maybe sing as long as no one can hear me LOL.

So I was wondering what is it about music that moves us? I know of more than one church that has split over music. Parents and their kids have been fighting over what the kids are listening to for decades.  I am not sure why it is that music touches our soul the way it does.  I remember when I was taking an english class in college years ago the professor said that todays music is the poetry of our generation. 

What I do know is that I can use music to influence my mood. It motivates, encourages, and lifts my spirit. It also has the ability to depress me. I can use music to help pull myself out of a funk or a can use it to wallow a bit if I want. I even have a play list on my IPod called "weird mood".  That is for those days I feel like wallowing a bit.

I honestly don't know what it is about music that makes it more than some sound and some words but what I do know is there is something special about it. So here is a video for one of my old favorites Trisha Yearwood singing "The Song Remembers When"



and a new favorite Mathew West Singing "Strong Enough"







Shell

No comments:

Post a Comment